The SEIU 1199NW Multi-Employer Training Fund invites you to learn new skills by earning your Hazardous Compounding Certification (Chemo Cert.). Apply for onsite training throughout 2021! This professional development program processed in a customized way for Swedish Medical Center Pharm Techs. Members will have to complete 10 hours of online training and exams, and then do an on-site training/validations at Swedish Ballard on a scheduled day in 2021. You will get a certification that may qualify you for a recently bargained pay increase.
The Training Fund can cover all NPTA Chemo Cert costs for eligible members who apply before the January 20, 2021 deadline and complete the certification. This is a part of Training Fund Members $300 Professional Development Benefit (if a member’s FTE is .75 or above).
- You must be eligible for the Training Fund (past your 90-day probationary period, not a per diem employee) – The Training Fund will verify your eligibility when you apply.
And at least ONE of the following:
- You qualify if you’ve completed at least 600 hours of practical experience preparing sterile products and aseptic techniques within the last 12 months. Regular part-time or full-time work as a pharmacy technician should qualify you.
- Or, show successful completion of the National Pharmacy Technicians Association’s (NPTA) sterile compounding certification course, previously known as our IV course.
- Or, documentation showing you’ve completed a course on sterile products and aseptic techniques that is ACPE accredited with at least 40 contact hours. Must include both hands-on and didactic training.
Course Completion Requirements:
These include at-home modules, quizzes and final exam. Hands-on training and validations.
- Part 1 (around 10 hours): Our course consists of nine modules you study in your home when it is most convenient for you. Each at-home module is specifically designed to teach you then test your new knowledge. This is done via reading assignments as well as comprehensive exams. You must score at least 70 percent on each of the exams in this home-based portion.
- Part 2 (around 10 hours): This knowledge will be applied in a hands-on setting. You and a group of SMC Pharm Tech co-workers will sign-up for a scheduled training day at SMC Ballard. You will train on, and complete validations for five process techniques, under the supervision of a pharmacist.
Your validations will be sent to NPTA. At the end of this course, you will receive a statement outlining your continuing education credit, which includes 20 contact hours of CPE credits. You will also receive an Official Certificate of Validated Training. This continuing education credit can count toward the requirements to renew your CPhT certification from the PTCB. When you receive your official certification, you need to bring this certification to your Swedish manager, to make sure Swedish HR can apply your certificate and qualify you for the bargained pay increase. Additional Considerations: If you’ve already used the Training Fund to pay for your Professional Development (CEU’s) in 2020, you may not have additional funds over your benefit limit. Check with the Training Fund.
Ready sign up?
Complete the Training Fund PD form for this project. You’ll need your NAPB number—which is the 6 or 7-digit number you use to get credit for your CEU completions. After you sign up, watch your email in early January as we schedule you for training. We will schedule at least one hands-on training per month until all Pharm Techs who sign up complete the course. You’ll want to make sure you receive and complete your home study materials and pass your exam so that you are cleared and ready well in advance of the hands-on training day.
This professional development is a partnership between your Training Fund, the National Pharm. Tech. Association, Swedish Medical Center, and SEIU Healthcare 1199NW.