Welcome to 2018! We are excited to start another year of providing education benefits and services to assist you in reaching your career goals.
First, I want to extend a very warm welcome to our members at PeaceHealth St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Bellingham and MultiCare’s Valley and Deaconess Hospitals in Spokane who joined the Training Fund as of January 1, 2018. Over 1,900 new members will now have access to the education benefits provided through the Training Fund. We are so happy to partner with you in your career pursuits!
The Training Fund now has more than 14,300 SEIU Healthcare 1199NW members eligible for Training Fund benefits across Washington State. Last year we served over 2,300 people through tuition assistance, tutoring, academic support workshops, professional development, stipends, English language and more.
Here are some highlights and reminders of what’s available to you in 2018 as a member of SEIU Healthcare 1199NW and part of the Training Fund:
– Tuition Assistance – 2018 maximum of $5,250 (levels are set annually by our Board of Trustees);
– We are excited to run two RN-BSN cohorts this year, supporting nurses to achieve this educational milestone. Contact Vernon Brown at if you are interested in learning more;
– Aspiring nurses can sharpen their writing skills at our new Personal Statement workshop. If you are planning to apply to a nursing program, this workshop may help you get over that Personal Statement hurdle;
– Our Education Navigators stand ready to support your journey through higher education, demystifying the admissions, registration and credentialing process. We now have Education Navigators in both Bellingham and Spokane to serve our new members in those locations;
– Have you completed your degree or certificate and are ready to look for a job in your new area of expertise? We have Employment Specialist services ready to guide you through the resume and interviewing stages. Reach out to Christy Hammrich at to set up a resume review or interview prep appointment;
– In 2017, we launched our first Training Fund newsletter. Be on the lookout each quarter for a newsletter highlighting our incredible members, dedicated staff, helpful tips, and other information about Training Fund benefits and services.
I’m so proud of the work we do and so very proud of you, our members. We know the journey to your educational goals can be long. It takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice to fit in school and focus on your development. But we know you can do it and thousands of you have! We can’t wait to support you on this journey and celebrate your successes. Here’s to ongoing, life-long learning and growing your skills and talents for your future!