Tuition Assistance

Go back to school with the Training Fund

Juggling a full-time job, family, and other commitments can make it challenging to return to school. So we are proud to offer our members the opportunity to apply for Tuition Assistance (TA), which can cover school-related costs like tuition, books, and other fees for approved programs.

And that’s not all! You can also access a variety of educational support services to help you succeed, including tutoring and career counseling.

Let us help you achieve your educational goals!

Get started today!

Your first step is to apply to the Training Fund using the link below. This will connect you with a Regional Education Navigator, who will guide you through accessing TA and other benefits & provide support through your time in school.

You can also attend an upcoming virtual Training Fund Tuesday session to learn more about all your available benefits!

The Tuition Assistance deadline for classes starting January 2023 or later is October 15, 2022. Learn more here and apply early!


A graphic describing the steps to applying for tuition assistance: complete a Training Fund member application, work with your navigator, register for classes, and submit funding request.
Earn your BSN at Bellevue College with Tuition Assistance!

Earn your BSN!

This flexible RN-BSN program – in partnership with Bellevue College – is nationally accredited and state-recognized. And it’s designed especially for working nurses like you!

The program is part-time or full-time, low-residency, and has a flexible hybrid model. Training Fund members have priority acceptance.

You may also be eligible for Tuition Assistance Priority Enrollment if:

  • You have 1 year of service with your employer
  • AND have already been accepted into Bellevue College’s RN to BSN program.

Please contact us for more information and complete a Training Fund Member Application today!

Applicants to Bellevue College’s RN to BSN program must meet the following admission requirements:

  • Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) from a regionally accredited institution. Must include at least 35 quarter credits in nursing.
  • A cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all college courses.
  • A minimum grade of “C” (2.0) in in all required courses for the ADN.
  • Have passed a college level statistics course that includes inferential statistics. Course must be equivalent to 5-credits.
  • A current, unrestricted licensure as a registered nurse in Washington state. Students in final year of an associate degree nursing program may be admitted, but must take and pass the NCLEX-RN by the end of their second quarter of the program. Successful passing of NCLEX earns the student 45 college credits.
  • Must have at least one year of recent (within the past three years) clinical experience. ADN clinical experience may be substituted for students applying directly from an ADN program

The program costs approximately $10,500. Training Fund members can qualify for Tuition Assistance to cover almost all the cost. Some costs (including additional college related fees) will need to be covered by the member.

Discuss financial aid options with your Regional Education Navigator and Bellevue College today!

Cost breakdown:

  • Tuition: $9382.60
  • College related fees (45 credits): $346.50
  • CAS Nursing Application Fee: $56
  • Typhon Health Education Tracking System: $70
  • Books (approx.): $500

Total (approx.): $10,500

Contact Regional Education Navigator Melanie Bermudez-Felix (Ph: 425-306-6068)

“I just got accepted into the RN to BSN program through the Training Fund at Bellevue College. The Training Fund helped me with tuition. The process was easy: Fill out your application, submit your stuff, and you’re going to be guaranteed a slot in the program with Bellevue College. I’m like, ‘Yes, here we go! I’m ready!

The Training Fund is awesome. I cannot believe you guys did this for us. And that’s fantastic!”

Monica Clark (Training Fund member for more than a decade, Began RN-BSN program in 2021)

RN to BSN Program Info Sessions

FAQs about Tuition Assistance

How Much Tuition Assistance Can I Receive?

Q. What are the member benefit levels?

A. The Training Fund Board of Trustees annually reviews and sets the maximum individual member Tuition Assistance benefit amount. For SERVICE bargaining unit members, the current maximum has been set at $3,500. For RN and PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL bargaining unit members, the current maximum has been set at $5,250. The Tuition Assistance benefit is based on your FTE.


-If your FTE is .75 and above you are eligible to receive $3,500 (100%).

-If your FTE is .5-.74 you are eligible to receive $2,625 (75%).

-If your FTE is .49 and below you are eligible to receive $1,750 (50%).


-If your FTE is .75 and above you are eligible to receive $5,250 (100%).

-If your FTE is .5-.74 you are eligible to receive $3,937.5 (75%).

-If your FTE is .49 and below you are eligible to receive $2,625 (50%).

Q: Does dropping my work FTE mean my TA benefit will drop? My advisor suggested I do this because I may have a hard time working full-time and succeeding in my program. 

 A: If you drop your FTE directly as a result of your college program’s recommendation to reduce your work hours, you may request a review of your specific situation with your Regional Education Navigator. Your Regional Education Navigator may recommend submitting an appeal to the Executive Director who may approve to continue your TA benefit amount at its previous rate.

For example, you were working 1 FTE before you dropped down to .6 to attend nursing school. Your Regional Education Navigator can recommend an appeal to the Executive Director for you to continue being funded at a 1.0 rate.  Provided you can document that the work time reduction was a recommendation of your academic program, you may continue to be funded at the 1.0 rate. 

Which Programs Qualify?

Please refer to our Approved Academic Programs when considering an educational pathway.

Which Schools and Colleges have been approved for Tuition Assistance?

Here is a list of schools, colleges, and education providers that have previously approved Tuition Assistance for Training Fund members completing educational programs.

Using your Tuition Assistance Benefit

Q: What college programs are covered by the Tuition Assistance (TA) Program?

A: Tuition Assistance covers college programs that are healthcare related, in demand, and have been approved by the Training Fund’s Board of Trustees.

The Training Fund Trustees, half of whom are from employers and half of whom are from the union, set up the Training Fund specifically to train members for in-demand healthcare career positions available with participating employers.  Because healthcare delivery is changing so quickly, and the goal is to have people secure a job after completion of training, the list is updated by the Board regularly. You should discuss your situation with your Regional Education Navigator if a program you want to pursue is not on the approved academic programs list.

Q: What expenses are covered by the Tuition Assistance (TA) Program?

A: Tuition Assistance covers costs for all required courses in approved programs and their pre-requisite classes. This includes tuition and most required fees, and required and/or recommended books, software, and supplies. The Training Fund will also cover the cost of transcript evaluation fees, including international transcript evaluation.

Q: What is not covered by the Tuition Assistance (TA) program?

A: Immunizations, criminal background checks, uniforms, computer equipment, parking fees, student id fees, and late registration fees are not covered by the Tuition Assistance program. Check with your Regional Education Navigator if you have questions about specific expenses that are not on the list above.

When can I start accessing the Tuition Assistance (TA) program?

A: Eligible Training Fund members may access the Tuition Assistance program after one year from their date of hire.

Q: How do I get started?

A: If you have not done so already, you need to complete the member application. After you complete your application, you will be assigned a Regional Education Navigator, who will contact you to schedule an important appointment to help you prepare for school and discuss your interest in Tuition Assistance. You must meet with your Navigator in order to remain on the Tuition Assistance enrollment list. Your Navigator will provide you with information about the college application process, discuss the full range of Training Fund benefits available to you, and share important deadlines to help you plan your education pathway.

Tuition Assistance Eligibility

Q: How much Tuition Assistance (TA) am I eligible for?

A. The Training Fund Board of Trustees annually reviews and sets the maximum individual member Tuition Assistance benefit amount. For SERVICE bargaining unit members, the current maximum has been set at $3,500. For RN and PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL bargaining unit members, the current maximum has been set at $5,250. The Tuition Assistance benefit is based on your FTE.


-If your FTE is .75 and above you are eligible to receive $3,500 (100%).

-If your FTE is .5-.74 you are eligible to receive $2,625 (75%).

-If your FTE is .49 and below you are eligible to receive $1,750 (50%).


-If your FTE is .75 and above you are eligible to receive $5,250 (100%).

-If your FTE is .5-.74 you are eligible to receive $3,937.5 (75%).

-If your FTE is .49 and below you are eligible to receive $2,625 (50%).

Q: Is there a minimum FTE in order to get Tuition Assistance (TA)?

A: As long as you have an FTE you are eligible for TA. For example, if you were a RN or PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL member working 0.25 FTE, you would be eligible for $2,625 TA benefit amount.

Q: Am I eligible for Tuition Assistance if I am a union member and work per diem?

A: Per diem employees are not eligible for Tuition Assistance nor any other Training Fund benefit. Employers make contributions to the Fund based on each eligible employee’s FTE status. Accordingly, eligibility for the benefits, including tuition assistance, is also based on employee FTE status. Because per diem employees don’t have an FTE employers don’t make contributions on their behalf and they are therefore ineligible for benefits.

Q: When am I eligible if I go from a position that is per diem to a position that is FTE?

A: You will be eligible as soon as you become an FTE employee and reach your one year employment anniversary date.

For example, you started working per diem on January 1, 2012 and worked for 11 months before becoming an FTE employee; you would become eligible for Tuition Assistance on January 1, 2013 – one year from your hire date.

Q: Can I get Tuition Assistance (TA) for more than one degree program?

A: Yes, members may pursue more than one program depending on their career advancement goals.

For example, a member may want to complete Surgical Tech certificate and then go on to an associate degree for nursing. Another member may want to complete a Medical Assistant associates and then then decide to go into Respiratory Care. So long as they are on the approved list, a member may enroll in as many programs as they need to meet their career goals provided they are working through their Career and Education Navigator and following their educational plan.

Q. Does Tuition Assistance (TA) cover adult basic education and college prep courses?

A: Yes, members who have identified these courses as part of their educational plan with their Regional Education Navigator may request TA for Adult Basic Education (ABE), English as a Second Language (ESL), college readiness and college prep courses (such as basic math, reading, writing, English and college success courses, to name a few). The Training Fund also offers our own classes to help students get ready for college-level courses

Tuition Assistance Enrollment Process

Read the latest update to the Tuition Assistance Enrollment Process. 

Q: Why has the Tuition Assistance enrollment changed?

A: More people have been applying for Tuition Assistance (which is a good thing—we want to help as many members as we can achieve their career and education goals). Since the Training Fund is working with a limited budget, we need to enact an enrollment period in order to fairly manage disbursements of Tuition Assistance funds while serving the greatest number of members.

Q: When do I need to apply for Tuition Assistance?

A: We encourage you to apply as soon as you’re ready so that you can meet with a Regional Education Navigator for career counseling, education navigation and other benefits. The Training Fund will notify you about Tuition Assistance acceptance after the enrollment period closing deadline (October 15).

Q: How does the Tuition Assistance Enrollment Process work?

A: Initial Round: Once the enrollment period is closed, the Training Fund begins the work of identifying the seniority of each member within their bargaining unit at their employer. Seniority is based on the collective bargaining contract language at each employer and is provided by them. Once seniority of the enrollees is established, the Training Fund provides the opportunity to receive TA to the members with the highest seniority. The number of people given TA in each employer bargaining unit is based on the amount of funding available for each employer bargaining unit.

Subsequent Rounds: There are members who receive the opportunity for TA in round one but choose not to accept the TA. Their circumstances may have changed and so they decline the TA. The initial round applicants have a limited amount of time in which to notify the Training Fund if they are choosing to accept or decline the TA. Once the Training Fund learns that a member is declining their TA, then the next highest seniority member on the list in their bargaining unit will be given the opportunity for TA.

The process of receiving “declines” from members and providing the opportunity to the next person on the enrollment seniority list continues until all funding for that bargaining unit is allocated. The process providing opportunities for each eligible member, until the funding is allocated, can take a few months.

Q: Can you tell me where I am on the enrollment list?

A: Unfortunately, the enrollment list changes day to day, depending on the number of applicants and their seniority level. The Training Fund will email you when a funding spot becomes available. Once you are enrolled and granted tuition assistance, as long as you remain eligible, you will have tuition assistance for your entire academic journey!

Q. What if I’m already enrolled in Tuition Assistance?

A: You do not need to reapply, as long as you maintain your eligibility. Please talk to your Regional Education Navigator about requirements for continued funding for after you’ve completed your current prerequisite courses and/or approved degree program.

Registering and Paying for School with Tuition Assistance

Q: Do I have to take all my pre-requisite classes at one college?

A: No, pre-requisite courses are generally transferable between schools and can usually be taken at multiple places if that is more convenient for you. However, always check with your desired degree program’s academic adviser to make sure. Your Regional Education Navigator may be able to advise you as well.

Q: How do I know the best school to go to for my pre-requisite classes?

A:  If you are taking pre-requisites, the state’s community colleges or public universities offer well-priced, high quality classes whose credits are generally transferable between schools.  Due to their higher cost, we generally do not fund enrollment in pre-requisite classes at private institutions. Again, always check with your intended program’s academic advisor about class transferability and discuss your plan with your Training Fund Regional Education Navigator.

Q. How do I know the best school to go to for my program?

A:  Finding the best school for your particular program will take some research.  Your Regional Education Navigator can help you with this.  Factors you should consider when you look at schools are:

  1. Is the program you are interested in accredited by a bona fide accrediting institution?
  2. Is your program approved by authorized state agencies (i.e. Washington State Nursing Commission)
  3. What is the average completion time and rate for students in this school’s program?
  4. Are the credits taken at this school transferable to other schools?

Note that the Training Fund WILL NOT fund all schools.  There are a growing number of online and for-profit schools of questionable quality and from which our employer partners will not hire.  Your Regional Education Navigator will provide guidance on choosing a school.

Q: How do I pay for my tuition and books?

A: At most schools, tuition is due within five to seven (5-7) business days from the date you register for classes. However, if you register on or after the first day of the quarter, tuition is usually due immediately.   You may elect to have the Fund pay your tuition “up front” once you have registered for classes or you may pay your tuition yourself and seek reimbursement from the Fund.  Both options are discussed below:

To have the Fund pay your tuition upfront: As soon as you are registered you should submit a Funding Request to the Training Fund to allow enough time for processing before the payment due date.  Your Regional Education Navigator will walk you through this process during your initial enrollment meeting.  Funding instructions are also available on our Forms page.

To be reimbursed: If you have already paid for the class, provided you have already been enrolled in the Tuition Assistance program and are working with a Regional Education Navigator, you may submit a Funding Request to the Training Fund. Directions for completing the reimbursement form are available on our also on our Forms page.

If you have questions about vouchers or reimbursement processes, contact your Regional Education Navigator.

REMEMBER! Students are responsible for their own tuition payment, which includes submitting their prepared voucher to their school. Always check with student services at your school to inquire about payment due dates. Know your school’s deadlines!

Q: What if my books are not posted on the college bookstore website when I register?

A: If you registered early and books are not posted online, submit your Funding Request for tuition only. Then when the books are posted on the bookstore website, submit a second Voucher Request for your books.  Remember you must submit documentation showing that your books are required, recommended or optional in order to be paid for through the Tuition Assistance Program.

Q: What if I am on a waitlist for my class(es)?

A: You may submit a voucher request for waitlisted class tuition and fee costs but not for books. Once you are actually admitted to the class, you can submit another voucher or reimbursement request for books along with your updated school schedule. If you have questions, contact your Regional Education Navigator.

Q: Would applying for Financial Aid or other grants through my school affect my Tuition Assistance benefits?

A: It depends on the type of aid. The Tuition Assistance program can only be used to pay actual costs for tuition, fees and books.  If those costs have already been paid by another source, then you cannot also access your Tuition Assistance benefit.  However, financial aid and other grants often cover costs outside of tuition, fees and books.  If you have an award that covers additional items (like living expenses, for example), we will work with your educational institution to have your Tuition Assistance benefit cover tuition, books and fees allowing your other award to be used for expenses not covered by the Training Fund.

For example, you received a scholarship for $1000 and the scholarship does not restrict its use (can be used for anything like rent or gas) but your school’s financial aid office automatically applied it to your tuition costs.  If you provide the Training Fund with an award letter, we will create a special memo (which will require your signature) that will allow us to voucher you for your tuition, books and supplies and the grant amount may be returned to you in the form of a reimbursement from the school (depends on the school/scholarship policy/benefit level, etc.).

Q: What if I paid for my classes and books already? Can I get reimbursed?

A: All members must have completed their enrollment in the Tuition Assistance program (including meeting with a Regional Education Navigator) before taking eligible classes and submitting a Funding Request.  If you are enrolled in the Tuition Assistance program and submit a reimbursement request for eligible expenses, you will be mailed a check within 30 days from the submission of all required paperwork.

Please note that for many schools, the Training Fund is able to provide up-front funding in the form of a voucher to eliminate out-of-pocket expense for tuition and books; vouchers take five (5) business days from the submission of all required paperwork.

Q: Is there a deadline for submitting reimbursement requests?

A: The Training Fund recommends that you submit your reimbursement requests on a quarterly basis; however, the annual deadline for reimbursements is January 15 for any costs incurred during the previous year. Remember: Only members who are already enrolled in the Tuition Assistance program can submit costs for reimbursement. Consult with your Regional Education Navigator if you have questions.

For example, you are enrolled in the Tuition Assistance program and paid for your summer quarter course on July 2, 2019. You have until January 15, 2020, to submit your reimbursement.

Succeeding in My Classes and Remaining Eligible for Tuition Assistance

Q: What should I do if I’m having trouble in my class(es)?

A: If you are experiencing difficulties in any of your classes, at any time, contact your Regional Education Navigator immediately.  Most commonly, members experience academic challenges that are related to balancing school, work and family. Your Regional Education Navigator can help brainstorm some problem solving options including tutoring services at your school or through the Training Fund. Our goal is to help you be successful!

Q: What tutoring subjects are available through the Fund?

A: Healthcare-specific content tutoring (for nursing classes, MA courses, etc.) is generally available at your college. However, one-on-one tutoring, free of charge, is also available through the Training Fund for the most common healthcare pre-requisite classes. We also offer free on-line tutoring with which can be accessed 24/7 from any internet-enabled computer or mobile device. Talk to your Regional Education Navigator about requesting a tutor.

Q: Is there a minimum GPA I have to meet while working on my pre-reqs?

A: The minimum GPA for all pre-requisite classes is 1.9 unless otherwise noted by your specific class/program. It is important to remember that most healthcare programs are competitive and applicants are selected based on their grades. Such programs include but are not limited to nursing, radiology, respiratory therapy, and more. The Training Fund strongly recommends that you strive for the highest GPA possible in order to increase your chances of being admitted to the program of your choice.

Q: Is there a minimum GPA once I’ve been accepted into my academic program?

A: The minimum GPA is established by your college program. Check with your college program advisor. Contact your Regional Education Navigator if you are experiencing difficulties.

Q: Do I owe money if I fail my class(es)?

Yes, if you fail a class, you are obligated to reimburse the Training Fund for the cost of the failed class. If you are unable to reimburse the Fund, then you will not be able to access Training Fund benefits for a period of two years. If you have received a hardship withdrawal from your college, inform your Regional Education Navigator as you may be able eligible to receive a repayment waiver.

Q: What if I need to drop a class?

 A: It is extremely important for you to maintain contact with your Regional Education Navigator if you are experiencing difficulties with any of your class(es). Your Regional Education Navigator can get you connected with tutoring or other resources if you are experiencing challenges while in school.

Timing is everything when it comes to adding and dropping courses if you and your Regional Education Navigator decide that dropping is the best option. The date you drop a class will affect the size of your refund from the college —and even your grades—so know the deadlines.

Q: Do I owe money if I drop my class(es)?

A: Depending on when you drop a class and the college’s refund policy, you may or may not be obligated to reimburse the Training Fund.  Withdrawal deadlines are generally found in the academic calendar on your college’s website. If you drop a class after the full refund period, you will owe the Training Fund any amount we are obligated to pay the college for your partial enrollment, this includes any costs for tuition, books and fees.

If you are unable to reimburse the Fund, then you will not be able to access Training Fund benefits for a period of two years. If you have received a hardship withdrawal from your college, inform your Regional Education Navigator as you may be able to receive a repayment waiver.

Q: Why can’t I take a class that’s not part of my program if I think I need it?

A: Classes other than those listed as pre-requisites or courses required by your program are not covered by the Tuition Assistance benefit. If you would like to discuss your individual situation, contact your Regional Education Navigator.

Q: Can I retake a class?

A: The Training Fund will NOT pay for taking a class twice.  If you feel you need to retake a class you will have to pay for the class yourself.

For example: You enroll in a statistics class as part of your nursing school pre-requisites and get a 2.8 for your final grade.  Because nursing school is so competitive, you want your grades to be as high as possible.  You can retake your statistics class but the Training Fund will not cover the costs for that second enrollment.

Have you read the Training Fund Service Agreement?

When first enrolling in a formal degree or certificate program, you will be asked to sign a Service Agreement. By signing this agreement, you will commit to work for your employer in exchange for receiving Tuition Assistance benefits.

Read the Service Agreement.

Our Members Say It Best

“The Training Fund can help you advance your career through education. They are here to help you with tuition, advisors, tutors, education planning, emotional support, and information about many resources that will help you through your journey.”

Danielle Davis, MA
Danielle is currently pursuing her ADN with the Training Fund

Navigators look out for their members

“My Training Fund Navigator was really great at counseling me. He walked me through the whole process….applying to the Training Fund, qualifying for Tuition Assistance, and then sending me resources for scholarships to keep my costs as minimal as possible. When I was unsure about things, he would reach out on my behalf to help me navigate. He definitely went above and beyond!”

Paisha Andersen, MultiCare Deaconess Nursing Assistant
Paisha will graduate with her RN certificate in August, 2020 from Spokane Community College.

Take a chance - go back to school!

“I was really nervous to go back to school because I had been out of school for 13 years. But it’s such a great benefit to take advantage of. Going back to school was a challenge but I think when it challenges you it really makes you stronger, and I just feel like it makes me have more of an edge in my field”

LeAnn Garcia, MultiCare Valley Hospital Registered Respiratory Therapist
Paisha graduated in August 2020 with her Bachelors of Science in Respiratory Care from Boise State University.

"Tuition assistance meant following my dream career"

“I wanted to be a nurse since I was 10-years-old. I started working as a patient transporter in 2016 and I didn’t know we had a union or an education fund. I became more serious about my nursing career. [The Training Fund] is awesome, it’s great! It takes a load off of you financially and you can focus on your school without worrying about how to pay for it.”

Aimee Duenas, MultiCare Auburn Medical Center Nursing Assistant
Aimee completed her nursing pre-requisites and began the Highline College nursing program in September 2020.

School is not easy, but it's not impossible with the Training Fund

“Going back to school for a Master’s program after 30 years, in a different learning environment, with a full-time O.R. nurse job, and the pandemic is not easy, but not impossible to do. I was amazed by the tremendous support I had from the Training Fund and WGU mentors. Now I can say I will never regret taking the high road in meeting my personal and professional development. The next step for me is to plan on giving back.”

Marina “Rina” Sotero-Galban, Highline Medical Center Registered Nurse
Marina graduated with her Masters of Science degree in Nursing Education from Western Governors University in October 2020.